Sunday, November 22, 2009

Painting the Sun

A recent technological discovery will soon revolutionize the solar panel industry. It's called solar paint (or solar ink if you'd like to call it that way), and its literally a liquid solution of "silicon nanomaterial" which can be printed or painted on to any paintable surface.

One company leading the revolution is a California startup named Innovalight. The are printing this magical solar ink on paper rolls and laminating them into plastic panels. Innovalight's silicon nanomaterial is comprised of technologically proprietary "quantum dots" (sorry, that's all I can say because anything more is their trade secret) which can be varied in size (from 2 to 10 namometers). The variation in size can be used to fine tune whick spectrum of light can be absorbed, and hence can capture more light frequencies than traditional solar panels. This makes solar ink extremely efficient.

In addition, since the ink can be painted or printed, the overhead costs of creating a solar ink panel are remarkably cheaper than current solar panel construction. This makes solar ink panels considerably cheaper, faster to produce and much more attractive to the consumer.

I know I'm getting my hand (or my buckets) on this super solar ink when it hits the market for sure. Then I'm going to paint my entire house with this stuff. Oh, I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. This Solar Ink/Paint is a breakthrough...Jeremy. Nanosolar Crystals could be cheaper...shall contact CEO Conrad Burke, indeed brilliant but is this emission-free, just worried of my beloved Earth...

    ReplyDelete